I’ve been booked… August 17, 2006Posted by Mick in Memes.
…by a meme. Again. It’s a book one. I might struggle.
I haven’t really read that many books in the last couple of years, but I will see how I go.
1. One book you have read more than once
The Hobbit. Well duh I hear you say, but hey, it’s probably the book that I have read the most in my life.
2. One book you would want on a desert island
The complete collection of TinTin comic books. Stupid idea you think? Maybe, but I used to read them over and over again as a kid and never got sick of them…..The perfect mindless read till you die books…
3. One book that made you laugh
Mort by Terry Pratchett. My favourite Pratchett and the introduction of Death to the Discworld. Funny stuff 🙂
4. One book that made you cry
This is almost embarrassing, but hey, I guess books can make us tear up. It was back in High School and it was Of Mice and Men. I was really deep into that book.
5. One book you wish you had written
The Da Vinci Code. Only so I could be as loaded as Dan Brown.
6. One book you wish had never been written
Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. Biggest load of crap I have ever read a bit of in my life.
7. One book you are currently reading
Someone gave me 4 Dan Brown books, and I am battling my way through them. Following the flock and all that. I have just started Angels & Demons after reading Digital Fortress (lame at best).
8. One book you have been meaning to read
I like the other side…of everything.
9. One Book That Changed Your Life
I read it on the train from New York to Washington DC when I first arrived in this country. It has had a fair effect on the way I think and live everyday. It’s one of those books that I think everyone gets something out of. A classic.
I’m going to tag….. techne. If she actually reads my blog…..which she might not, but hey.
The Remember to Breathe Meme (Thanks Ducky) August 13, 2006Posted by Mick in Diary, Film, Memes.
1 comment so far
Tonight i went and saw a movie by myself for the first time ever. I am not sure why I haven’t ever done it before, but I just seemed to think it was either extremely sad, or a lonely thing to do.
In the end it was neither. I enjoyed the movie, “A Scanner Darkly” and then I enjoyed reading half a book, “By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept “, in Kramerbrooks. A great little bookshop in Dupont Circle. I am going to go back in the morning and read the rest.
But back to the meme.
A list of 12 things that keep me alive and enjoying this world we live in…
In no particular order:
1. The sounds and smells of the ocean.
2. The warm sun on any day of the year.
3. Music. All kinds. Anywhere. Anytime.
4. Watching children play. Sharing in their innocence.
5. Alone time. The chance to be within myself and enjoy it.
6. Smiling to myself and watching others smile
7. My team winning.
8. The possibility of love.
9. A book that immerses me and influences the way I look at the world.
10. A thunderstorm
11. The feeling in my mouth after a spicy meal.
12. The smell of a freshly cut lawn.
Like Ducky, this list could change from day to day, but it includes things that will always be there no matter where I am in my life.
2.17am. Time to sleep….
Me? Tagged? Cool! July 27, 2006Posted by Mick in Memes.
I always read meme’s and sometimes I do them, but rarely (if ever??) have I been tagged to do one.
So here ’tis. 4 things….of stuff…..that i’ve done….and stuff..
1) Four jobs I’ve had.
Pushing trolleys at Supabarn
Library Officer (stacking shelfs is so fun)
Consular Officer (sounds good. But not so glamourous)
Indoor Cricket Umpiring
2) Four movies I could watch over and over.
Star Wars 4, 5 and 6
3) Four places I have lived.
Sydney – Hills District
Sydney – Hawkesbury
Canberra – Belconnen
Washington DC, USA
4)Four TV shows I love to watch
5) Four places I have been on
New York City
7) Four of my favourite foods
Mexican (Burritos, Fajitas, Nachos, Enchiladas…..mmmm…food)
Fried Chicken (it’s yummy because of that dripping fat)
Roast pork WITH crackling and apple sauce
8) Four places I would rather be
Watching a live band
Watching sport (tv or live)
Watching the sun set
Drinking with mates
9)Four fave CD’s (this hour)
Appetite for Destruction/Use Your Illusion I & II – Guns n’ Roses (combined for sheer joy..)
Times Up – Living Colour
Unit – Regurgitator
Tear of Thought – The Screaming Jets
20 things that I am glad I did in my 20’s July 25, 2006Posted by Mick in Diary, Memes.
1 comment so far
As my 20’s near their end, I am starting to get really introspective about the last decade and what I have done.
I am proud of my achievements in my 20’s and that’s why I am happy to move on to my 30’s. I know that quite often people reach 30 and wonder what they have done with their lives.
This list is not just a list of things I’m always proud of, but more things that I am glad I have experienced.
1. Had Kids
2. Got Married
3. Lived and worked in another country
4. Worked in public, private and contracting companies
5. Checked out the view from the Empire State Building
6. Watched my sister grow up and use her amazing artistic talents
7. Watched my other sister get married, have kids and be happy
8. Ran a marathon
8. Bought myself a laptop and an iPod
9. Started a blog (or 2)
10. Bought a house (or 2)
11. Tasted Chipotle (that stuff is goooooood)
12. Saw the Socceroos qualify for their first World Cup in 32 years.
13. Gained a
qualification piece of paper (for what it was worth)
14. Discovered that being happy is more important than nearly anything else
15. Learnt that no matter where I go, Australia will always be home (Thanks Peter Allen)
16. Saw lots of live music. From the Big Day Out, to They Might be Giants in Washington. I just love live music.
17. Watched a game of football with my son. (when he’s awake, for at least 10 minutes)
18. Seen enough of the world and learnt enough about people to be able to form my own opinions on what is wrong and right in this world.
19. Met some of the best people you’d ever want to meet who will hopefully remain lifelong friends.
20. Not died.
Time to start thnking about the next 10 year and what they will bring….
Coming soon: A list of the 30 things I want to do in my 30’s!
I am a 9. What are you? March 15, 2006Posted by Mick in Memes.
1 comment so far
Just did a Personality Test for a bit of fun.
Apparently I am a 9, which is Calmness. It means I am laid-back, calm and optimistic.
Sounds pretty accurate to me!
it’s a good little test, you should try it and let me know what you get!